Dr. Robin Wall Kimmerer is a mother, scientist, writer, and Distinguished Teaching Professor of Environmental Biology at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry in Syracuse, New York. She is the founding Director of the Center for Native Peoples and the Environment, whose mission is to create programs that draw on the wisdom of both indigenous and scientific knowledge for our shared concerns for Mother Earth.
Kimmerer is an enrolled member of the Citizen Band Potawatomi. Her writings include numerous scientific articles and the books Gathering Moss, which was awarded the John Burroughs Medal for nature writing in 2005, and Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants, to be released in October 2013. As a writer and a scientist, her interests in restoration include not only restoration of ecological communities, but restoration of our relationships to land. She lives on an old farm in upstate New York, tending gardens both cultivated and wild.
Contributions to Humans & Nature:
- Returning the Gift
From Minding Nature May 2014, Volume 7, Number 2
- Question ResponseVideo
Robin shares the story of skywoman at the Questions for a Resilient Future gathering.
- Roundtable Discussion Video
A conversation with Kathleen Dean Moore, Julianne Lutz Warren, and Carol Gould, moderated by Eleanor Sterling.
- Conversations around the Greenfire Video
Robin Kimmerer in conversation with Curt Meine.
- A Video from The Geography of Hope
Robin Kimmerer speaking about wilding our language.
- Forum on Ethics & Nature Video
Robin Kimmerer delivers the keynote address at the Center's 2014 Forum.
B00ks for the Center for Humans and Nature:
- Wildness: Relations of People and Place, "Listening to the Forest," 2017, University of Chicago Press
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants
Robin Kimmerer's award-winning book.
- A video: Reclaiming the Honorable Harvest
Robin Kimmerer at TEDxSitka.
- Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses
A book by Robin Kimmerer.
Photo by: Dale Kakkak