Culture & Conscience Curriculum Contest
How would you engage high school or college students in an exploration of the ideas raised by our question, "What are the connections between culture and conscience?”
We aim to foster the critical reasoning and scientific knowledge skills necessary to participate effectively in scholarly conversations about the relationship between culture and morality. How do humans discern between right and wrong? How do these decisions shape our communities and cultures? How does culture influence our values?
Toward that end, we are accepting submissions of educational objectives and strategies, classroom materials, and learning processes you might use with secondary or higher education students for a “Culture and Conscience” course.
We seek curricula that incorporate the scholarship and arguments featured in the responses to our Culture and Conscience question and enable students to reflect on the relationships between culture and morality.
If your curriculum is chosen as the winner of the competition, you will receive a prize of $1,000 and your curriculum will be shared on our website.
Our Culture and Conscience question series was developed in partnership with National Public Radio’s On Being with Krista Tippett and led by the Center’s Senior Scholars, anthropologist Melvin Konner and social psychologist Jonathan Haidt.
The competition is open to high school teachers, college professors, and graduate students based in the United States.
Criteria and Judging:
The submissions will be judged by Bruce Jennings, the Center's Senior Fellow, and Gavin Van Horn, the Center's Director of Cultures of Conservation. They will look for the following elements in the submissions we receive:
- Clear educational objectives
- Appropriate instructional resources and plan for maximizing student engagement with the course content
- Effective learning assessment components
- Incorporation of ideas, scholarship, or arguments featured in the responses to the question "What are the connections between culture and conscience?”
- Consideration of how this instruction may fit into a school’s existing curricular structure
- Discussion of teacher qualifications required to teach this material effectively
How to Apply:
Please email your curriculum as a PDF to email@example.com with the subject line “Questions Curriculum” by April 15, 2017.
You will be notified by May 15, 2017 if your curriculum is selected.